A pictorial history showing how the villages of Cullen & Portsoy looked in years gone by.
Alan Cooper’s latest book on the north-east of Scotland combines an excellent collection of photographs with in-depth captions detailing the history of these neighbouring fishing towns. The turbulent history of Cullen House, and the internal wrangling that led to several of the Earls of Seafield being denied their inheritance, contrasts with pictures of ordinary townsfolk going about their business of fishing and farming. There’s local colour in the form of cave-dweller Charles Marione (unceremoniously evicted in 1933), pictures of a travelling zoo in the Square, Cullen, and historic fifteenth century buildings at Portsoy harbour photographed before their untimely demolition. The final picture in the book is of the lime kilns at Boyne.